Local authorities say high school students are among 30 people killed in a car bomb blast in Afghanistan.
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a hotel where students were reportedly staying in Pul-e-Alam, the capital of the eastern province of Logar.
Dozens of people were injured. Eyewitnesses described the collapse of the roofs, the victims found themselves under the rubble.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blast, as people broke their fast during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
A wave of violence has erupted in Afghanistan since US President Biden announced that US troops would withdraw by September 11.
A number of buildings were damaged at 19:00 local time. The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a gathering of protesters, including a civilian guest house.
Some of those killed were high school students preparing for university entrance exams, said Hasibullah Stanekzai, head of the Logar provincial council.
About 90 people were injured, said Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Aria.
He said the blast had caused extensive damage in the area, including hospitals and homes.
“The roofs of the houses collapsed, people were left under the rubble,” he said.
“Security forces are trying to rescue those trapped.”
Footage circulating on the Internet shows victims being pulled from the rubble. The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a police station.
The car exploded near the house of the former head of the state council, not far from the hospital. This was reported to Reuters by Logar governor’s spokesman Didar Laung.
The British Embassy in Kabul condemned the attack, saying “this senseless violence against civilians must end.”
The bomber struck shortly after noon in front of a U.S. military base, removing hundreds of protesters from Afghanistan.
President Biden announced earlier this month that all US troops would leave Afghanistan by the 20th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks in the United States.
The decision angered the Taliban, who had struck a deal with former US President Donald Trump, agreeing that all troops would leave the country by May 1 if the militants kept the deal.
In recent months, there has been an increase in militant violence in the country, including an increase in civilian casualties.